Sewer System Backups
Tree roots can be extremely destructive to your plumbing pipes, even when trees are very far from the house. At Mr. Rooter® Plumbing, we’re experts at repairing septic and sewer systems damaged by tree roots. Tree root intrusion is a common problem for local homeowners, and we have lots of experience in the area. Our skilled plumbing professionals have repaired and re-piped all types of plumbing systems to accommodate many different property layouts. Rest assured--your Mr. Rooter Plumbing professional has the complex process down to a science.
Tree Root Intrusions
Pipe condensation or leaky pipes will actually attract roots in search of nourishment. Mr. Rooter Plumbing technicians have seen how far tree roots can travel and how easily they slip in through tiny separations in pipe sections, small holes, or cracks. Once water is discovered, the tree begins stepping up root growth in that area. More roots make the hole bigger and clog your whole sewer system--before bursting the pipe.
What are the signs of tree root intrusion?
- Sewage backing up into your bathtub and/or toilet
- No water in the toilet
- Gurgling sounds from your toilet
- The tub not draining properly
Possible Tree Root Intrusion Solutions
- Rooter work and drain cleaning: We’ll first punch through the tree root clog to clear the line and get your sewer functioning again. Next, we’ll check the extent of the tree root problem and recommend more permanent solutions.
- Hydrojetting: For a longer-term solution, your Mr. Rooter Plumbing technician can clean the pipe using pressurized water jets, thoroughly scouring the line,to eliminate grease buildup, debris and tree roots.
- Pipe lining: A permanent solution where we line your entire sewer pipe with a “sleeve” to seal it, eliminating water leakage. (We may be able to line just the troublesome section of pipe.) Your Mr. Rooter Plumbing technician will clean the pipe and apply lining material, which hardens over several hours. With this method, we avoid trenching and the need for demolition of walls or other structures.
- Pipe bursting: Another permanent fix. Mr. Rooter Plumbing can instead use hydraulics to break apart your old sewer pipe (whether clay, cast iron or PVC) and simultaneously install a new seamless pipe.
- Maintenance: Mr. Rooter Plumbing also offers a continuing inspection and drain-cleaning plan to help keep grease and other household debris at bay. It will also eliminate roots from any unlined pipe before they cause a clog.
Sewer System Backups
What are the warning signs of a sewer system backup?
- Water backup from the toilet, shower or one sink drain can be an early sign.
- Multiple drain backups.
- Any combination of drain backups involving the toilet.
- Strong sewage odor coming from drains or outside near your home.
- Gurgling sounds coming from your drains or toilet.
- Pools of water around the basement floor drain.
- Strange drain behavior: If any drain you use in your home (like the kitchen sink or the washing machine) makes the toilet gurgle and/or backs up into the bathtub or basement drain, it could be a widespread problem with the main sewer line.
- If the symptoms are only in one drain or area, you may have an isolated plumbing problem in a secondary line. If the bathroom sink doesn’t drain or backs up into the bathtub, but the toilet still flushes normally—you may not have a sewer backup.
When do you need to call Mr. Rooter Plumbing to fix your sewer system back up?
Call Mr. Rooter Plumbing now, even if you think you have an isolated drain problem, to prevent a bigger problem or a raw sewage backup. Our plumbers generally try to open the drain with a special drain auger or cable device. If the drain won’t open to clear the sewer line clog, we can run a camera through the drain to diagnose your sewer backup. With this method, we can check your entire sewer line for problems. We may find that tree roots have crushed your sewer pipe or drain pipe. Tree roots can also find their way in through pipe cracks or joints. In other cases, sewer blockages can occur from bits of discarded food/garbage disposal waste, hair, soap residue, sanitary products or thick toilet paper.
Septic System Backups
Septic tank problems and backups have a potential for more wide-ranging problems than a sink backup or toilet clog. (Although these should be handled quickly by an experienced plumber, ideally at the “slow drain” stage before complete stoppage, to prevent system-wide problems in and around your home.) With a septic backup, you could end up with big costs to remediate any property damage and contamination, including environmental cleanup. Remember, Mr. Rooter Plumbing professionals are here to help.
What are the warning signs of a septic system backup?
- Sewage backup (smelly black liquid) in toilets and/or drains.
- Slow flushing and draining toilet.
- More than one drain in the house is running slowly.
- Wastewater seeping from the ground near your septic system, which may or may not have an odor.
- Lots of very green grass over the septic system, even during dry, hot weather.
- Bacteria in your well. Liquid from your septic system could flow into and contaminate your drinking water well through the ground. Have your water tested by the local health department if you suspect a problem.
- Algae or weeds growing in a pond near your house. This can be caused by septic system waste discharging into surface water.
- Bad odors around the house can be caused by incorrectly vented or failing septic systems.
When you need to call Mr. Rooter Plumbing to fix your septic system backup Contact your local Mr. Rooter Plumbing at the first sign of a septic problem. Get professional help from our experienced plumbers immediately to help avoid property contamination, environmental issues and serious health threats like dysentery or hepatitis.
What You Can Do to Prevent a Backup
Avoid septic system problems with regular maintenance, including regular pumping of the tank, and avoid planting trees on the absorption field. Ask your Mr. Rooter plumber about our AdvantagePlan®. The plan can save homeowners thousands of dollars by helping prevent and quickly diagnose any plumbing problems. The AdvantagePlan offers important benefits like:
- Preferred pricing, always lower than our standard price list.
- Priority scheduling whenever you require plumbing services.
- Detailed records kept of your plumbing system inspections and repairs.
- Additional periodic service discounts that will save you even more on plumbing costs.
- Transferable feature; this plan can be conveyed to a new owner if you sell your home.
- Many plans also cover multiple properties.
Mr. Rooter Plumbing will get to your home quickly and work to contain a backup. We’ll then diagnose the root cause of your sewer clog and help limit any damage to your property. (Yes, tree roots are the #1 cause.) Mr. Rooter Plumbing technicians are courteous and extremely efficient. We’ll explain the recommended solution and any options—then we’ll fix it right the first time. To avoid a hazardous sewer disaster, call Mr. Rooter Plumbing at the first sign of sewer trouble!
Your sewer should be out of sight and out of mind! If it isn’t, heed the warning signs of sewer system or sewage backup and contact Mr. Rooter Plumbing right away. We’re available 24/7 for emergency plumbing repairs and we don’t charge overtime. Call Mr. Rooter Plumbing today!